Should I Rent a Car While at Disney World
You’re flying to Disney and now need a way to get around. Wanting to plan your Disney vacation on a budget is often a driving factor. I am sure you have spent a lot of time trying to determine accommodations, tickets, etc. The next questions can be, should you rent a car?
Why You Should Rent a Car
- Save time: Depending on which resort you are staying at and the transportation methods available, Disney Transportation might take awhile to get almost anywhere. This is going to depend on location, traffic patterns, and number of stops. I have some nightmare stories about a time I was staying at Animal Kingdom Lodge but when I stayed at Old Key West I got to majority of places quickly.
- Comfortability: You are not guaranteed a seat on the bus home from Magic Kingdom right after Wishes, (super busy time). There is also the topic of strollers and having to fold them up.
- Complicated: Wanting to visit anything outside of Disney without a car means using a metered taxi or Uber. Also getting to other resorts from your resort means connecting somewhere like Disney Springs.
- Flexibility: Being able to get in the car and go instead of waiting for a bus. And also the ability to go places off the Disney property
Why You Should Not Rent a Car
- Cost: Depending on current rates and the time of year, the cost of renting a car can add up when considering tolls, gas, and insurance.
- Complicated: I know this point is repeated but having a car can also add a level of complication to your vacation that otherwise did not have to be there.
- Convenience: I hate driving so having someone drive me around and leave me very close to the entrance of the theme park, (vs a parking lot → tram → theme park), is all I need to be convinced.
- Immersion: You get off the plane and onto the DME bus. Your vacation and the magic starts then. Not having to deal with a car allows you to let go and be fully immersed from the moment you get there.
These are very generalized pros and cons on having a car rental. Your decision is going to lie within other options such as current car rental rates, which resort you are staying at, how far it is from the action, and if you actually enjoy or hate driving. I usually chose not to rent a car because I hate driving and I have Uber. I enjoy getting driven around and being worry free for my vacation.
Let me know your thoughts!
My name is Krystel, and I am here to share the joy Disney gives me. If you want to learn more about planning the perfect Walt Disney World Vacation visit Planning The Magic. I’ve spent a lot of time creating the perfect Walt Disney World Vacation Planner and Disney On A Budget eBook because I really want everyone to have a magical vacation within reach.